Thursday, October 26, 2017

2 down, halfway through

Took my second final this week. Passed. I was so happy. I wasn't super worried, but there is always a level of fretfulness when taking a final.

I was thrilled to have passed. I have two more to go. One on the Principles of Accounting and one on Change Management. I'm honestly less worried about the accounting than the Change Management. Accounting is all numbers and columns. Once I know which columns the numbers go in, it's all math from there and I'm good at math.

Change management needs memorization of various processes and policies and this, that, or the other.

And the book is written for crap.

I'll tell you, these books are the WORST thing about going to school through WGU. The course books are very hit or miss, and tend more towards miss in my experience. They are generally written very poorly, and even more poorly edited. So they have sentences that make no sense. They have sentences that stop, literally in the middle of the sentence. If you are spectacularly lucky, the rest of the sentence will be the next paragraph or bullet point. They are full of incorrect information, and yet, I'm supposed to somehow "learn" from these.

They aren't my only gripe, but they are the biggest gripe I have.

And they are one of the first things that I mention when people ask me about going to school through WGU.

That said, I'm nearly done and then I will have the "I'm so SMRT" piece of paper, which I need.

I am taking a few days off from studying this week since I haven't really done much house work in the last 2 weeks. I have had to run the vacuum, since Sorun likes to throw food EVERYWHERE.

But I only got dishes done today, and it's been about 3 days (not many dishes, since it's just me and I haven't had to cook a whole lot this week. But it was still a few.)

I've also got a large pile of recycling that needs to go out and I still have stuff to go out to the garage. I took a few cat things to the car with me this morning, but then didn't have the ability to get them to the garage before or after work due to one thing or another.

I'm going to take a few more things tomorrow and hope that I can get them to the garage. I also really want to get the big rubbermaid tub cleared off (before it also goes to the garage) so that I can lay out some butcher paper and carve my pumpkin!

I figure Sorun has never seen a pumpkin before, we missed out on the Halloween themed Squawk Box, and I rather enjoy carving pumpkins. So I will carve this one, let her chew on it for a while, and then I will roast the seeds for a treat that we can both share.

I might pick up a sugar pie pumpkin later to make pie with, but we'll see on that one.

After a week of working from home, I'm so happy to be back in the office. I know a lot of people think it is a dream to be able to work from home, but it really isn't a dream for me. Since I don't have a dedicated office area (with a door), it means that I see my entire house and Sorun, the little feathered terror, can see me. And being both a bird and a baby, she doesn't understand the concept of "work from home". She sees mom, sitting in a chair, and not letting her out to play. So we end up with days of tantrums. Add to that the fact that it's getting cold fast here in the Pacific NorthWest, and it makes it hard to keep the house warm enough for her to stay healthy. So I bought her a couple of warming options. But ultimately, when the weather gets really cold, she's going to have to be in the bedroom during the day. I can keep that room much warmer, more efficiently, and for less cost. She'll just be furious and will have to deal.

But on that note, I'll leave a few pictures of featherhead for anyone interested:

This is our new routine for breakfast most days. I prepare her breakfast and then spread a towel on the TV tray and put her food dish roughly in the middle. It doesn't prevent most of the food ending up outside the bowl, but it does make it a lot easier to clean up after breakfast:

One of the days that I was working from home, she was out playing for a while, and decided that she needed a break to sit on my shoulder. But then she had to avidly watch the clouds going over our skylight:

As the day wears on, she wants more cuddle time, and will often demand my hand, and then shove her head into my fingers to try to get me to pet her:

One of the funniest (and most interesting) discoveries is learning what movies she likes. I like movies, and I like having them on as background noise, if nothing else (helps drown out the people who live around me.)

I'm learning that featherhead likes singing and dancing, but in specific styles. She likes things from about the 30s, think Annie (the 1980's version) and Little Shop of Horrors (although she thinks the dentist is scary.) She doesn't care one way or the other about Nightmare before Christmas or The Lord of the Rings 1. Lord of the Rings 2 and 3 were deemed "scary". She loves Moana and The Little Mermaid. She liked Lilo and Stitch after Lilo started teaching Stitch how to be Elvis. Apparently the feathered terror likes Elvis.

The funniest bit was when I turned on The Little Mermaid for the first time, and as soon as Sorun heard the Disney logo music this is her pose:

She stopped EVERYTHING to watch the TV so she could find out what movie it was.

She wasn't so enamoured with Disney's Tarzan or Hercules. But I think a trip to the library will need to be scheduled so that I can check out some musicals that I don't have in my personal movie library.

I want to let her watch Wall-E and Aladdin soon too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.