Monday, November 1, 2010

Welp... I made a decision

I love the Louet Hatbox spinning wheel.  I do.  I love the size, and I love the portability and the ease of use.

I especially love the delta orifice that no other wheel in my  house has...

But we don't get along.  Nearly 8 years after seeing one for the first time, and 2 years after buying my first "My Own" wheel...  and even now, 5 wheels later...  I still want a Joy.  The hatbox is smaller and even more portable and actually very well protected.

But I want a Joy.  My Fidelis is perfect for when I know that I need to spin larger quantities.  My Traditional is great for spinning at home when I want to treadle slowly but get more twist (bigger drive wheels will do that.)  My Victoria is exceptionally fast, versatile, and portable.  Mina is just phenomenally beautiful and will be drop dead gorgeous when she is finished being refurbished.

But I want a Joy.  I have gotten to use a Joy a few times and it is literally one of the few wheels where I had NO learning curve.  It was like an extension of my foot/brain/hand and yarn started to form immediately and in exactly the way I wanted it to.

So I am going to see if I can beg to borrow the Joy of a fellow spinner for a little longer, perhaps a few days and see if I still adore it after spinning on it every days (Oh, the agony, I shall be FORCED to spin for at least 1 hour every day.  ;)

If the answer is yes, then I am selling the hatbox and using the money to buy a Joy.

In the meantime, I am going to knit a beret for a toy monkey.  A toy monkey who got dressed up as a pirate for halloween.  :D

No comments: