Saturday, June 27, 2015

I'm trying to be a more frequent poster. :)

I'm working on it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

This week was a comedy show by Eddie Izzard. I had worked hard to be able to afford it and be able to actually go. I even got a friend interested enough to go with me.

We both got off work early and left to head to downtown Seattle. I had lucked out and made arrangements with a hotel that is in my Timeshare network and got permission to use their valet parking for the evening at a reduced rate. I was thrilled. The hotel is right across the street from the theatre.

So we got there pretty early and dropped off the car. Going into the lobby was nice because they had air conditioning. Got the car dropped off and the parking paid for, then walked around the block and went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We had actually wanted to to the Elephant and Castle, but that was a 6 block walk in gross heat, and we said no. So Cheesecake factory it was. And it was NOT cheap. But it was tasty, and after dinner we wandered another block and found a Barnes & Noble bookstore.

I adore bookstores. I adore books. So I was pleased as punch to be in a bookstore. I wanted so many books! But I was good and after looking through most of the shelves (and having a security guard actually comment that he's never seen anyone so excited about a bookstore?!?!) I was good and only bought a small, slim book of Irish and Celtic Fairy Tales.

After that we headed for the theatre because we were getting close to the time that the doors were going to open.

As we got to just 1 street over from the theatre, the pan handlers were out in force.

Here's the thing, I don't normally give to panhandlers for several reasons including I don't generally have cash, I don't feel like paying for someone's booze, and so many of them are rude.

One panhandler asked for change, and after I said "I'm sorry, I have no cash at all." he started cussing and calling me names under his breath.

I can understand being frustrated, HOWEVER....

1. The majority of purchase transactions in the US are done electronically, no cash, in this day and age.
2. The majority of people do NOT carry cash around because of reason 1 and also because they don't feel like being mugged for it, thanks.
3. I was polite, and I apologized for the fact that I had no money to give you. Calling me names and cussing at me, even under your breath is NOT likely to influence me or anyone else into giving you money.
4. Yes, I was going to a show at a theatre and it was not cheap. I worked HARD to save up the money to go to that show and to be able to afford parking and dinner. (and a book)... I do not earn a huge paycheck, and this wiped out my extra money for the better part of 3 months. So instead of cussing me out, how about you get off your duff and work YOUR ass off to earn money. There are quite a few places that will help you find a job and get back on your feet. Are they great? No, but they are better than panhandling and cussing out strangers who are trying to actually earn a living.
and lastly...
5. For all I know, you are yet another "panhandler" with a corporate job and you just panhandle on the side (that is a true fact, there are some like that.) or you are one of the "panhandler millionaires" who pull in so much from begging that you have a monthly income 3 times the size of my YEARLY income. So no, I'm not inclined to give you any of my hard earned money. Suck it up and move on.

Anyway, show was fun, but there was a lot of referencing of earlier shows and some recycling of material. Which is fine for those of us familiar with his stuff, but isn't as nice for someone just coming in. After the show, we collected the car and headed back to our side of town and I got my car from work and went home to a super hot house.

Our weather is just icky hot. Yesterday was awful, today is supposed to be a bit better, next week is going to be downright awful.

I'm going to stop at the store today on my way home and pick up items to make salads from. Lentil salad mostly or bean salads, because I need the protein, but I can't bring myself to cook when it is this hot.

No comments: