Monday, May 27, 2019

You can tell that summer is definitely on the way

Bratty children throwing things at buildings, shrieking like someone is kidnapping them, and those of us who do not enjoy the sounds of over tired brats and high school students who don't care to finish studying or keep volumes down, get glares and are often told that we're in the wrong.

Just because I do not have human children does not make me wrong.

I helped raise quite a few children over the years and I still taught them manners. Throwing things (other than things meant to be thrown) is bad behavior. Throwing things AT other things (like other children, cars, buildings), VERY BAD BEHAVIOR.

Play outside, have fun, be loud, but do NOT scream like someone is kidnapping or hurting you.

In the neighborhoods I grew up in, if a child screamed like that, people would boil out of their homes like ants from a disturbed nest. Because they expected that the child actually WAS being kidnapped or hurt.

::deep breath::

I know it's currently an unpopular opinion, but I think it is not a good change that most people now do not know their neighbors. We no longer (usually) live in communities. We live near other humans who would not know our names if asked.

I used to know my neighbors. I used to know nearly all of them. Since then, one died, and the rest have all moved away. The new neighbors avoid getting to know anyone. I know a single neighbor now and that's it. That's a sad statement.

I don't need to borrow sugar or milk from my neighbors, but I don't even feel like they would notice if someone broke into my house. I don't feel like they would even call the complex office, let alone the police, if they saw someone suspicious hanging around.

I will admit, this is one of the reasons that when I look for places to live, I actually prefer the median resident age to be 50 and above. Most people 50 and above grew up in the same sort of environment that I did and are not against knowing their neighbors. They are the ones where you get to know them, take them cookies, offer to get them things from the grocery store if they aren't feeling well, take them soup, and they will return the favors.

I'm not against technology. But I want limitations on it in my home and my every day life. My friends in Australia, England, Germany, or any other countries, cannot bring me soup when I get sick. They cannot keep an eye on my house if I go away for the weekend. They cannot babysit the bird or the fish. They can't come over to play board games on a weekend or watch movies and have pizza. We can sort of watch movies together, and sort of play games together, but it is not the same.

I sound so old and bitter today. I'll try to buck up, I promise. :)

No comments: