Thursday, July 25, 2019

Still thinking, bear with me

I am still working through my thoughts, but a lot of it boils down to this:

I am very much against intolerance. I am against racism, bigotry, sexism, rape culture, don't even get me STARTED on some of the "new" things popping up...

I absolutely support people of all colors of the rainbow, and then some. I support all sexual orientations or lack thereof. I have stood up for these beliefs to people who are against them. I keep standing up for them. I'm just getting older and more tired.

My one sort-of caveat is that I support ALL people of ALL colors. I support ALL sexual orientations.

I cannot, for my own moral code, say that any one group is better than another.

Please, I do want to be told if something I do or say is offensive. BUT, keep in mind that I am also human and we all make mistakes. I do not try to be a bad person, so please assume that I made a mistake. Please make sure that I am aware so that I can do my best to rectify that mistake and understand that it was a mistake.

(as an aside, there is an itty bitty spider crawling up my computer monitor at the moment just under this word.)

Please do NOT assume that because I appear white that I am not also in a marginalized group that is being affected by the current issues in the US. I am in several of the marginalized groups. Just because I do not run around screaming at the top of my lungs that I am this, that, or the other, does NOT make me less a part of them.

I think it all boils down to a few simple words.

Be Kind.

In the words of Wil Wheaton: Don't be a dick.

In the words of Bill and Ted: Be Excellent to each other.

The list goes on.


I'm going to end it there. Everything else I've written ends up being a soapbox.

Do I stand with Ravelry? Yes. I support banning hatred, bigotry, racism, sexism, etc. And more to the point?

Ravelry is a PRIVATE WEBSITE. They can set any rules they want and I will absolutely support their right to do so. I don't have to agree with the rules, they don't say that I have to. Just that I need to abide by them, if I want to continue to play in the Ravelry sandbox. This is no different that any other private institution.

Even though I have said that I welcome gentle, polite feedback, I'm going to disable comments on this post because there is way too much hatred out there right now.