Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Just as a note

Okay, I understand that Knitpicks website had a security issue.  I do.  I ALSO understand that hackers are out there ALL THE TIME trying to get account information.

I'm going to say this here and maybe someday pearl clutching drama llamas will actually GET IT.

JUST BECAUSE A SINGLE WEBSITE HAD A SECURITY ISSUE DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION WAS HACKED BECAUSE OF THAT SPECIFIC WEBSITE!!


I know it's hard to believe, but really and truly.  Just because you've shopped at Knitpicks (or ANYWHERE ELSE ONLINE) doesn't mean that your hacked CC was because of them.

I've shopped at Knitpicks.  My account information was compromised.  However, I know for a FACT that it didn't happen because of Knitpicks.

I've NEVER given Knitpicks my credit card number.  Not once.  So I know FOR A FACT that it wasn't them.  It's kind of pissing me off to see so many people going "OH!  IT'SALL KNITPICK'S FAULT!"

You don't know that.

For all you know, you went out to lunch/dinner/snack/coffee/WHATEVER and the person who took your card to pay for it copied your information and is the one who "hacked" your card.

Or you bought gas, or went to the ATM, and there was an illegal recorder on the card reader that copied your information.

Or some hacker just got lucky with a number combination.

Or you threw out a bank statement that wasn't shredded.

Yes, it is possible that it was because of Knitpicks.  Yes, it is possible that Knitpicks handled the situation poorly (and by possible, I mean probable.)  However, GIVE IT A REST.

Visa was hacked a while back and there weren't this many drama llamas screaming.  Banks get hacked frequently, and people don't scream like this.

Give me a break.

::gets down off soap box::

No comments: