Saturday, September 5, 2015

Right... I'm sure it's illegal, I just don't have time to prove it

So I think I mentioned that my laptop died. Not slowly, or in a way that I could have planned ahead, but just working and then later that day not working.

I did some research, called several well rated and reviewed computer repair places around town, and ended up opting for Computer Sonics.

Fair warning... stay away from them. By miles.

The shorter version of this is that they quoted me about 3 different amounts for the same work, and when I brought my computer in, they told me the diagnostic fee and that it would be waived if I had them work on my computer.

I did opt to have them work on it, and the final quote I was given was just under $100. So I was appalled when I went to collect my replacement laptop (the dead one wasn't worth repairing, so I had them recover data and stick it on my replacement) and the final bill was nearly twice what I was quoted. Seriously, nearly double.

When the tech called the guy who had done the work, what I heard from his end was "Well, if she's complaining about the price, tell her...."

A quote is a quote. It would have been different if they had updated their quote. But they didn't. They told me it would be just under $100. I was budgeted for $100 (figuring in tax as well.)

I complained and argued, and was then told that the price was higher because I had nearly a terabyte of data to move.

If I had had that much, I wouldn't have been complaining... but here's the thing.

There is NO WAY I could have had that much data. Seriously. No way.

My hard drive was 500GB and was not even close to full. See? NO WAY there was "nearly a terabyte of data."

Oh, and the replacement laptop? Also has a 500GB hard drive, so if there was a terabyte of data, where did it come from and where, exactly, did they put it?

Yeah, didn't think so.

So I argued, and the tech lowered the cost down to $100. Which is still more than I was quoted, but I paid it and took my laptop and left. I've left very negative reviews on both Google and Yelp, and I am still seriously considering filing a complaint with the BBB.

In happier news, after having to frog the blanket I am knitting for a second time... I have now gotten past the border again and I should be able to get back to the pattern rows in a couple of days. I am going to put in a lifeline before I start the pattern this time. The first time I had to undo the whole thing was because the pattern wasn't lining up for love nor money. The second time I had to undo it was because I had messed up a stitch and couldn't fix it. Third time needs to be the charm. Seriously.

Now, however, it is late. I have work tomorrow and some leftovers that need to go in the fridge.

No comments: